Email Marketing: How To Make the Inbox Work for You
With the plethora of digital advances that have taken place in recent years, many businesses are looking for the newest, flashiest ways to market themselves. From interactive ads on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc. to trendy apps that customers are encouraged to download onto their mobile devices, a number of marketing campaigns focus primarily on integrating into the most modern platform available.
In their haste to pursue modernity and innovation, businesses may actually miss out on one of the most viable digital marketing opportunities! Yes, I know it may seem like email was implemented into our lives some time back in ancient history, but think about it. Almost everyone has at least one email address, most users actually have multiple. Smartphones, tablets and laptops provide near constant access to our inboxes through a mouse click or thumb tap. The truth is, email is so well integrated into our lives, we check for new messages without even thinking about it.
Unfortunately for many business owners, email marketing is repeatedly overlooked during the formation of business plans and advertising campaigns. Email marketing is one of the most powerful digital marketing tools available. In fact, 80% of marketers agree that email is core to their business. So, instead of seeking out the newest digital fad, focus on incorporating email marketing into your small business.
Arguably, the biggest advantage of email marketing is this: customers have made the choice to communicate with you. A Facebook advertisement has been paid for. It’s going to pop up on your newsfeed whether you want it there or not. When someone receives a promotional email, it’s because they have actively subscribed to updates from that specific business or website. Since the customer has the power (i.e. the ability to unsubscribe), they set the parameters for communication. Recipient feedback determines what content they’re interested in and how often they want to hear from you.
Now, let’s get into the specific reasons that email marketing works so well. Emails allow you to:
- Reach mobile customers. As mentioned above, smartphones have basically become an extension of the human body. Users always have their phones or tablets with them, meaning they will inevitably see notifications or updates for each email you send.
- Merge your marketing efforts. The power of the hyperlink makes it easy to integrate emails into the rest of your marketing efforts. Simply include Facebook or Google Business links into your email signature and encourage readers to check them out.
- Keep customers informed. By sharing useful or interesting content through email, you benefit your business and your customers alike. This practice builds credibility for you, while also providing valuable knowledge to your customers.
- Customize messages. Unlike display ads that appear on a variety of sites to unfiltered visitors, emails can be tailored to the interests of your individual customer base. Want to filter down even further? Create separate email newsletters for new customers, long-time customers, and potential clients to ensure your content makes the greatest impact.
- Measure success rates. Online platforms like MailChimp offer advanced tracking that tells you what percentage of recipients opened each email, how many of clicked on a link, what links they chose, etc. Tracking gives you the opportunity to see both what works and what doesn’t, so you can make alterations and improve the effectiveness of your emails.
- Strengthen relationships. Regular contact with your customers reminds them that they are valuable to you, and that you didn’t forget about them the moment your transaction was completed. Keeping communication lines open builds trust and may improve your chances of working with them again in the future.
- Attract new clients. For many businesses, especially the web-based ones without a physical location, it’s nearly impossible to meet face-to-face with potential clientele. Since people won’t be moseying in and out of your storefront, draw them to your business with informative content or lucrative deals in their inbox.
- Maintain low costs. Creating and maintaining an effective email marketing campaign is inexpensive. Costs consist primarily of hiring the right marketing and support team to generate leads and content. Furthermore, email marketing pays for itself and then some. On average, emails provide businesses in the United States with a 4300% return on investment!
In a digital world that is consumed by social media, it may be difficult to see why you should choose to invest your marketing efforts elsewhere. While social media and online advertising are important, here are some factors that set emails apart from the rest of the pack:
- They require you to understand your audience. Unlike a generalized Facebook or Google ad, email blasts go to a specific list of readers that you control. Since readers know this, they expect more from an email than they would from a random advertisement. To maintain reader interest, it’s critical that you understand and respect audience needs and interests.
- They focus on personalization. Have you ever received an email with “Dear Customer” in the first line? Did you keep reading? Did you even open it in the first place? Personal emails that come from a real person and address customers by name are by far the most effective.
- They generate customers. Believe it or not, emails generate more new customers than social media advertising. Offering coupons or incentives within emails will even further encourage potential clients to choose your company over others.
The Secrets to Success
So, you’ve read all of these inspiring reasons why you should use emails as a marketing tool. You’re probably wondering how you’re going to do it all. It’s true that email marketing is an extremely beneficial tactic for improving business and drawing interest to your business. It’s also true that maintaining email blasts, subscriber lists, and content creation takes a lot of work.
We know that running a marketing campaign on top of running a business can be overwhelming. That’s why it’s critical to choose the right marketing team to handle the details of your email generation and analytical tracking to keep you on the path to success. At Osky Blue, we know how valuable email marketing can be. We offer a range of options and advanced features to ensure that you get the most out of our email and lead generation services. Visit us online at http://oskyblue.com or give us a call (866) 675-9411 to find out more.